Simple Moussaka4:52 PM
This recipe is 200% for my own benefit because I know a few weeks from now I'll be dying to make this again.
Instructions are written in the order you should do them if you are starving and want this to be ready ASAP.
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Prep 1 eggplant: wash and half lengthwise. Thinly slice into half moons and place on an oiled Bali sheet. Salt. Bake while you prep everything else. (If it might burn before that, pull from oven.)
3. Prep 3 potatoes: wash and peel. Half lengthwise and thinly slice into half moons. Boil in a large pot of water til soft.
4. Prep meat: cook ground beef or lamb in a pan/skillet until brown. Add a pinch each of parsley, allspice, cinnamon and pepper. Add 2 chopped tomatoes and a pinch is sugar or a bit of ketchup and water. I didn't add it but authentic meat would have red wine and onions/garlic too.
5. Prep white sauce. In a microwaveable bowl, melt 1 T butter. Whisk in 1 T flour and mic again for 30 sec. Whisk in 1 cup milk and a pinch of salt. Mic for 3 min or until hot and thickened. Whisk in one raw egg.
6. Grate a bit of cheese.
7. Assemble. Remove eggplant from oven and turn down to 350. Drain potatoes and salt. Oil a lasagna style baking dish. Layer: potatoes, 1/2 the eggplant, meat sauce, eggplant, white sauce, cheese. Bake for 45 min. When done, let cool for a few min before serving.